What was life like before Pinterest? I simply can’t remember and really don’t want to. I recently stumbled upon the most delicious Mexican-inspired meal and it’s too good not to share with y’all.
Oh, by the way, if you’re looking for a healthy recipe – You may want to look somewhere else. Sorry. [Not sorry]
What you’ll need:
- 8-10 flour tortillas
- 3 cups chicken, shredded (I boiled two large chicken breasts for 25 minutes, then shredded them)
- 3 cups Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (I used low sodium)
- 1 cup sour cream (maybe low fat if you’re trying to be healthier)
- 1 4-ounce can of diced green chilies
- 2-3 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- Spray 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine chicken & 1 cup of cheese. Fill tortillas with mixture and roll each one up then place seam side down in baking dish.
- Melt butter in skillet. Sprinkle flour over butter, then whisk to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat and whisk in broth. Place back on heat and cook until mixture has thickened and is bubbly.
- Cool sauce for 5 minutes. [VERY important to let the sauce cool because if it is too hot the sour cream can curdle when you add it… gross.]
- Add sour cream and chilies to the sauce and stir until smooth with sour cream completely dissolved.
- Pour sauce over enchiladas and add remaining cheese over top. Bake for 25 minutes until sauce is bubbly. Turn on broiler and broil until the top is golden.
- Top with green onions & enjoy!
While you’re at it, you might as well try my guac recipe to go with your enchiladas – you won’t be sorry!
Thank you Gonna Want Seconds for the recipe!