I’m always on the lookout for healthy recipes, especially if they involve zucchini noodles. Sometimes it’s hard to find items that aren’t totally bland, but I was pleasantly surprised by this zoodle dish.
I tweaked the recipe slightly by adding spicy turkey sausage because, in my opinion, sausage just makes everything better. [Am I right?!]
It was easy to make, but I would suggest prepping ahead of time. Food prep always makes life in the kitchen a lil’ less stressful.
*Scroll down for recipe*
What does a vegetable wear to the beach? A zucchini!
What you’ll need:
- 1 pound ground spicy turkey sausage – browned
- 4 medium zucchini, about 2 pounds – Spiralized
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium tomatoes – chopped
- ¼ cup of green onions – chopped
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the turkey sausage, then set aside
- Add olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes to a large skillet. Turn to medium heat. Once the oil begins to bubble around the garlic, add the zoodles. Toss the zoodles with pasta tongs for about five minutes, until al dente.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil, and parmesan cheese. Cook for one minute.
- Use tongs to transfer the mixed noodles to a serving dish. Leave the liquid in the skillet.
- Add the sausage to the noodles in the serving dish.
- Bring the leftover liquid to a simmer. Combine the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl and whisk into the simmering liquid. Cook while whisking for about one minute.
- Pour the sauce over the noodles.
- Finish with more parmesan cheese on top + additional basil.
Thanks for the recipe inspiration, Inspired Taste!