We love eating Italian dishes at my house, especially my mom’s “pink pasta,” which is packed with flavor. While consuming it, you might think it requires a lot of time spent in the kitchen due to a homemade vodka-like sauce, but it’s quite the opposite. It’s not only delicious but ridiculously easy to make. [With no homemade sauce.] It’s so easy that I almost hate revealing the recipe…
*Scroll down for recipe*
A ‘penne’ for your thoughts…
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb. short pasta, such as penne
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (Remove from casing & brown the meat)
- 2 cups marinara sauce (I always use Colavita’s spicy marinara)
- 2 cups Alfredo sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, plus additional for garnish
- 1 to 2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded)
- Remove Italian sausage from casing, then brown the meat. Set aside.
- Cook pasta in salted water. (Cook a few minutes less than directions because the pasta will cook more in the oven)
- Make “pink” sauce by stirring together marinara and Alfredo sauces in a medium saucepan. Stir until well blended, then add the fresh basil (chopped) and the cooked sausage. Cook on low.
- Toss the pasta in the cooked pink sauce, then pour into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle pasta with cheeses.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
- Garnish with additional fresh basil if desired.
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family does! I usually serve it with garlic bread and a side salad.